I hope to God that I am not the first person to tell you all about this frozen treat secret. But if I am, your life is about to change.
You can make really, really good ice cream without dairy, without processed sugar, and without an ice cream maker. All you need is one thing…
That’s right. Put a frozen banana in a blender or a food processor, and you’ve got yourself a creamy, refreshing frozen treat. Seriously, that’s it.
All this time we were eating bananas, nobody ever told us that they had a secret life, living as ice cream!
Of course, because I can’t leave any recipe as is without messing with it, I created a souped-up version for you fine people (and myself, obviously).
Let me introduce you to an oldie but a goodie – with a twist:
Frobana Cherry Garcia Ice Cream
This good old Ben & Jerry favorite gets a makeover with frozen banana at the base, cacao nibs for added health benefits (magnesium, fiber, iron, antioxidants and more) and a tiny pinch of cardamom for a rich, aromatic flavor (also boasts some pretty awesome health benefits). The result is a deep pink and chocolatey, creamy but crunchy summer treat.
- 1 frozen banana
- 1/2 cup of frozen cherries
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. raw cacao nibs
- 1 tsp. dark chocolate chips
- Tiny pinch of cardamom (optional)
- Cut banana into small chunks and freeze it (I highly recommend freezing a few at once so you can have them ready for next time)
- Freeze cherries overnight, or buy frozen cherries
- Throw banana into the food processor or blender and add vanilla extract and cardamom
- Process/blend for about 30 seconds (blended, but not creamy yet)
- Add cacao nibs, dark chocolate chips and frozen cherries all at once
- Blend for another 20 seconds or so (creamy, but not watery)
- Eat on porch/balcony/grass/anywhere that’s literally under the sun
If this is old news to you, and you have your own frozen banana recipes, please share them with me. It is quickly becoming my new obsession. I’ve already made it three times in the last week. And my mind has run amuck with new frobana creations…chocolate almond butter, lemon ginger, maybe even avocado? Man I love addictions that do a body good.